Thursday, April 26, 2012

Me too buddy, me too

Tonight on the way home from the store, out of nowhere Zane said something to me that he's never said before, yet I always knew I'd hear one day - "I wish I didn't have diabetes".  My heart sank.  I just replied with "me too buddy, me too".  I then tried to probe a little and ask why he didn't like having it (as if it was something that some people actually did like having) and he simply said "I don't like checking my blood sugar and stuff".  I explained to him that having diabetes was not because of something he did wrong or because of something mommy and daddy did wrong.  I explained to him that we are handed things in life that we don't like and we have to deal with them and try to look at the bright sides of them.  I explained that there are kids out there that have things going on in their health and life that are worse than having diabetes and we talked about a few of those things.  I explained that mommy and daddy didn't like him having diabetes either, but it was out of our control and we had to the do everything we could to make sure that he stayed healthy.  I told him he was so brave and that we were so proud of him and how helpful and compliant he was when he needed his blood sugar checked or needed his shots.  I then told him that diabetes would not stop him from anything in life - he could do and be anything he wanted and all he had to do was make sure he was always good about checking his blood sugars, counting carbs (when he's old enough) and taking his insulin and if he made sure of all of those things, nothing else would stop him.   I then reminded him that he was not the only kid or person out there with diabetes and that he should never feel alone.  Once we got home, the conversation was more than over, but of course it was still on my mind.  We checked his blood sugar and he was a little low, I handed him a few sweet tarts and up the stairs he headed for bath.  I stopped him on his way up and said "want to know what the bright side about having diabetes right now is?" he said "yeah" and I said "I bet there aren't many other kids having candy right now on their way to bath", he laughed and said "yeah, that's fun"!


5 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so sorry you had to have that conversation. You're so strong for him. Good job momma.

n b said...

children with ordeal grow up faster.. next month our team,that has name of little ,brave boy will go for walk to support a fund that looking for way to beat your disease! YOU will never give up, Zane:)

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Lis as I sit here sharing my comment in tears. Good job Mama keep it up hugs to Zane too he's been such a trooper and a brave boy too!

Love,
Megan

Katie and Bob said...

Sounds to me like you handled it really well! It's not fair that you need to have the conversation in the first place. You were very equipped and ready though:). Good job.