Saturday, December 10, 2011

15 Days

"Dress like an elf"


This was a big deal more for mommy than for Zane. Zane was invited to an event without me and because he has diabetes its not very easy for me to just drop him off for a couple of hours like it would be for any other 4 year old. He was invited to go see the movie Arthur, where there would be a free for all in popcorn, candy and soda. My manager's husband's company was hosting an event at a movie theatre for kids - where each child was encouraged to dress up like an elf and watch the movie Arthur - every person would be given a giftcard to use at the concession stand on whatever their little hearts desired. My manager is an RN, albeit not a Diabetic nurse, but nonetheless a nurse, so she at least was comfortable with checking blood sugar and giving injections if needed and had a basic knowledge of what care he would need; so I decided to give it a shot (no pun intended!) and trust his care in someone other than his school or our family. I am so glad I did, he had so much fun and felt so grown up!! I popped popcorn for him at home and portioned it into a bag, then picked out a couple little pieces of candy from home and portioned that out and supplied a can of diet orange soda and off they went! I made sure that he didn't have enough carbs portioned for him during the movie to warrant an injection. My manager checked his blood sugar during the movie with no problems and I met them after the movie for lunch and was able to give him his injection for that meal - it all worked out great!

Baby steps, baby steps!!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This brought tears to my eyes, how brave of you and Zane looks adorable!

Lori said...

That is so awesome. Nice work. And he makes one adorable elf!