Thursday, December 15, 2011

Eyes

Diabetes can have many negative effects on a person's body if things are not closely monitored. The eyes are just one of the many parts of the body that can be negatively effected. Because of this at Zane's 4 year well-child appt his pediatrician told us we should take him to the Optometrist to have his eyes checked merely so they could get a baseline of his eyes, so when he goes back yearly for check-ups they will know the health of his eyes at the "beginning".

Today was that appointment.

Josh called me around noon today to let me know how it went - I was extremely sad to learn that our little guy would need to get glasses. We have never noticed him having issues seeing, but apparently he is having some problems with seeing up close and that apparently is something that is missed a lot in kids since most kids don't get regular eye exams at the eye doctor and the little eye chart at their pediatrician's office only tests how well they can see far away. His diabetes has NO PART in this, its not any different than any other person going to the eye doctor and learning they were having problems seeing up close or far away.

It broke my heart to learn Zane needed glasses so young - I cried when Josh told me the news. Its not that having glasses is a bad thing at all - I wear them - its just that I feel that Zane already has enough going on with his little body and I didn't want him to have to add something else. Glasses are adorable on kids and when he gets older he can wear contacts, possibly have lasik surgery or chose to just continue wearing glasses; its not the end of the world and I know that - I just didn't want this for him now.



I spoke with Zane's pediatrician and after she read the eye doctor's chart note, she put in a referral for us to go see the pediatric Opthamologist for a 2nd opinion - she wasn't 100% sold on what the optometrist "saw" in him. I'm pretty certain he will still need glasses, but I will enjoy getting a second opinion! I'll be calling tomorrow for that appointment :)

Daddy picked out some very stylish glasses for the little man, but you'll have to wait until he gets the ones made for his little head to see what those look like!

I'll update after we see the Opthamologist.

No comments: