Sunday, October 27, 2013

Milkshake Bribe

While at my work for trick-or-treating Froday I decided it was a good time for the 3 of us to get our flu shots. Zane had OVER 3,000 shots before going on his insulin pump last October and never batted an eye at any of them. Poke after poke he took them all like a champ. But anytime he has had to have any immunizations he has turned into a total basket case - I never could quite understand it. Anyway, when I told him we'd be getting our flu shot Friday, he pleaded with me not too. I made the decision that he would not be able to talk me out of it, if he got the flu he could easily end up in the hospital and it's just not a risk I'm willing to take. BUT, I did bribe him (never said I was above bribery)...I told him if he didn't cry I would buy him a milkshake from McDonalds. Zane has had homemade milkshakes before, but never one from a restaurant. The main reason is, ones from restaurants have an INSANE amount of carbs (80+) which means an insane amount of insulin and the fear of the restaurant carb counts being wrong and then his blood sugar being all screwed up...it's a visicious cycle I tell ya!

Anyhow...he did great. Freaked out a bit when they put the alcohol on his arm, but took the shot like the champ he is!!

So today he redeemed his reward and enjoyed every sip! Now to see how his blood sugar responds! The boys have a babysitter coming tonight...good thing she's awesome with his Diabetes, she may need to be on her A-game tonight!

***Update - milkshakes are EVIL!  Evil to his blood sugar!  Zane was in the high 300's most of the night, but thankfully our baby sitter was all over it and with my guidance via text messaging, she was able to get him down into the mid 200's 5 hours after he had the shake!  Thankfully, he was totally unphased by the high blood sugar and happy as a clam with his shake!  But I promise you, it'll be awhile before he has another one, haha!

No comments: