Wednesday, August 21, 2013

School Shopping

When I was a kid my mom always set aside a day to take each one of us school shopping and I looked forward to that day all summer long!  I am having a lot of anxiety about Zane starting Kindergarten this fall (that's a whole other post) - but the one thing that I was so excited about with him starting was taking him school shopping!!  He's a boy (duh) and most likely will not love shopping for long (not that he loves it now, but he enjoys it) - so I am going to relish in the fact that he was so excited about last Sunday as I was!  We had a whole day with just us!  I will cherish these moments...the moments where he likes to spend an entire day with just mommy, the moments where he still likes to hold my hand in the mall, the moments that he still lets me strongly encourage what clothes he should pick out, the moments where he is just mine and no one else's!


We headed down to Southcenter for our adventure!  I have been buying school clothes for him all spring/summer as I'd see things go on clearance or sale that I thought would be good for him - but I still wanted to take him to experience an actual "school clothes shopping day".  We made sure to buy quite a few items in his next size as we all know that kids grow like weeds!  After heading to one store, we stopped in the food court for lunch!


After doing our damage at the mall, we headed over to Nordstrom Rack and that's where things got a little crazy...due to all of our fundraising for his team, Zane earned $140 in giftcards for Nordstrom. Last year the gift cards came right before their big sale in July...but this year they came the day after it ended (of course).  I was going to save them for next year's sale because that is the only time I shop at Nordstrom, but then I remembered Nordstrom Rack!  I let him pick out pretty much whatever he wanted there and we headed up to the counter to pay - I was thinking we'd have a little extra left over for another day...haha, funny!  Remember our gift cards totaled $140 - want to know how much we spent...$139.96!!  I couldn't have done that if I tried - I told the lady to "keep the change" and she got a good laugh out of that (but I was serious...didn't need a gift card with $.04 on it), haha!

We had a great time and he scored big time!



I love you little man and hope that even as you grow up, you will still want to spend this one day every summer with your mommy!


After shopping, we met up with daddy and Landon and saw the movie Planes...this was Landon's first theatre movie.  He did ok - not great, but ok!  I think he would've done better had there not been 45 mins of previews before the movie started, ugh.  Its been awhile since I've been to a movie, but seriously - I do not remember there being SO MANY previews before the movie.  Next time we take him to a movie, we will show up 30 mins late and probably be just on time for the actual movie!





We headed to dinner and then since I obviously carb counted wrong at dinner - Zane got to enjoy his first ever Twinkie to treat his low blood sugar, haha!  We stopped at my mom's between shopping and the movie and she had a box and I had recently just been telling Zane about them, so she gave him one. At the time his blood sugar was way too high to warrant it, so we saved it...good thing, came in handy :)  Twinkies are probably one of the most unhealthy things you could ever ingest and I will never buy them for my own home, but I think they are a right of passage for a kid - so I let him have it and he loved it!


Tonight I drug out all of the bags of clothes I had stashed away that I had bought over spring/summer and the ones we bought last weekend and layed them all out.  Zane wanted to inspect them all (most of them, he had never even seen, haha) - thankfully he liked them all!  I have a bad habit of buying things and stashing them away and not paying attention to how much I've bought and then I pull it all out and realize I went overboard (I do the same thing with Christmas gifts) - thankfully everything we bought was on sale or clearance AND many of the things will not fit him until winter anyway!

The goods.

These were all his doing - he is really into button up short sleeve
shirts right now and specifically asked for some while school shopping.
Apparently I'm raising a preppy lad!

He asked me to take this picture - he can't wait to wear his new shoes.
Not pictured...his new soccer cleats - but he starts tomorrow night, so you'll get to see them then!

No comments: