Thursday, August 1, 2013

Camping

Last weekend we headed up to Winthrop and camped at Lake Pearrygin State Park with some great friends!  This weekend was a perfect example that there is a silver lining to every dark cloud.  We would have never met this wonderful family had it not been for Zane's Type 1 diagnosis.  I stumbled upon Kristin's blog sometime near the beginning of our Type 1 journey and was able to get into touch with her and we seemed to "click" from the start.  Our boys are about 10 months apart and thankfully they too get a long great!  Both boys are on the same pump and same CGM (continuous glucose monitor) so we Kristin and I have many a conversations about these two life-lines; its awesome to be able to bounce stuff off of someone who knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

We met up at our campsite Saturday afternoon and camped until Monday where we departed ways after breakfast!  We had a great time and I'm happy to report that we all still like each other!  That's a lot to say after "roughing" it with another family that you haven't spent more than a couple hours with before!  I believe that we all bonded really well and became even better friends and have already talked about more trips we'd like to do together!

Now without further ado - here is our photo dump!


When I posted the picture of Josh's car on FB before we took off; many people commented on how much over packing we did etc...do any of you know how much room 3 kayaks take up??  Yes, I might over pack a little...but honestly; these were all necessities for a successful fun camping trip!!!

Where were these tablets to play games and watch movies on when I was a kid???
I wish I could say they slept most of the way...but nope, they fell asleep promptly 15 mins before arriving at our site!
We got a little dirty!
Can't camp without roasting marshmallows!
Zane and Luke had their first "sleepover" and they couldn't be more excited!  They had their very own tent!!!
So much fun!  So many deer too!
Cute little Winthrop!
You can't go to Winthrop without taking advantage of all of the little tourist photo traps!!
Definitely a "had to be there" moment, but hilarious!  Kirsten was SO embarrassed when she saw Erik walk over with a chocolate covered banana - I thought she was going to disown him right then and there!!!

Zane & Luke showing off their matching CGM sensors!  These boys are such troopers and real super heros in my heart and I'm so glad they have become such great friends!

2 comments:

Brooke Buckingham said...

Personally, I think it's impossible to overpack when you're camping with kids!

Kristin said...

You do still like us? Whew! Felt like complete moochers, with us eating our birdseed for breakfast and Erik defecting to help with bacon and eggs! ;) And you've gotta love someone who understands why you need to keep the kids' tent within Dex range. :) Awesome time - hopefully to be repeated!