Friday, December 28, 2012

TWO

I cannot believe my little Landon man is two - where or where has the time gone.  Some days it has felt like the longest two years and some days I still picture him as a little newborn so helpless in my arms.  Landon surely gives us a run for our money some days - this kid can be such a pistol - but a pistol we love with all of our might.  Our two boys could not be any more different than if they were from totally different families...but we love that - it definitely keeps it interesting and keeps us on our toes...always waiting to see what is next!


A little about Landon at the age of TWO:

Speech: Landon is a little behind (in my opinion) in talking.  I keep hearing from people that this is totally normal for the 2nd child etc - but it still is a little concerning to me.  We will see what his doctor says at his two year appt next week.  Here are a few things (some are words) that he says: 'nana (banana), wawa (water, milk or waffle - up to you to figure out which at the time it is), weeoooweeooo (siren sounds for: firetruck, police car, ambulance - sometimes a school bus or taxi), mommy, daddy, eat, beep-beep (car), beeeby (baby), Izeeedit (I did it), Z (Zane), Papa, Mama (Grandma), I want dat (I want that), ooo-ooo-ah-ah (monkey sound), doggy (for any animal with 4 legs), teetal (turtle), mi-meeen (Lightening McQueen), ba (ball), bar (means Nutrigrain Bar) and he signs "please".

Obsession: This kid is OBSESSED with firetrucks and Hotwheels.  He is obsessed with watching Firetruck videos on YouTube - we pulled them up once to keep him occupied for a few mins and now he grabs one of our tablets and brings it to Josh or I all of the time saying "weeoooweeooo" and won't stop until we pull up videos.

Cuddler: Not so much!  If he's not feeling well or if its right before bed, he will sit on your lap and cuddle no problem...but any other time of any day, he is running wild!

Personality: Oh boy, where do I start!!  I used to judge parents who couldn't control their children, would think to myself that the parents were not very attentive or forceful enough with their kids...couldn't believe how some children were allowed to behave in public or at home.  Well, karma my friends...it'll bite you everytime!  I am now that parent!  Don't get me wrong, Landon can be so sweet and playful...but those times sometimes feel like they are far and few between!  He loves to throw things...anything, but Hotwheels are his favorite.  He loves to throw them across the room, at me while I'm driving (hence why he doesn't get them in the car anymore), throws them at Zane or anyone just because.  You tell him "no throw" and he picks up another one, smiles at you a very defiant smile and chucks it again!  Remove the Hotwheels you say???  Tried that...he finds something else, anything else.  I've tried ignoring the behavior, it does nothing, he just continues...I've tried re-directing...showing him what cars do "they go vroom, vroom on the floor", I've tried time-outs (he takes himself out in about .5 seconds), I've tried yelling at him (he just smiles at me), I've tried putting whatever said toy he is misbehaving with in "time-out", he goes to find another one...I'm still trying to figure out "the thing" that will work for him!  As much as that stuff drives me insane and how lost I feel on how to deal with it at times...he is so much fun at the same time.  He never ceases to crack me up everyday, he just does the silliest things and at such random times - definitely keeps us on our toes.  And who knows...maybe he'll grow up to be a famous baseball pitcher and help his mommy and daddy retire early!

This kid is TOUGH too!  He is so opposite of Zane in this department.  Zane is tough in his own ways for sure.  But Landon has a very high pain tolerance.  He rarely ever cries out of pain - he will hit his head...grab his head, make a little whining noise and just keep going.


Sleep:  He sleeps like a total champ!  During the first 6 mos of his life, I wasn't sure I'd ever say that...but its true, he is a serious sleeper!  You lay him down and he is asleep within minutes and sleeps until I wake him up for daycare on the weekdays.  On the weekends, he usually sleeps until around 8 - which is perfectly fine by me!  He naps a good 2-3 hours everyday and is pretty flexible on when he goes down for his naps...but not so flexible on if he takes a nap...he definitely needs one!

Eat:  I used to brag about how much easier he was to feed than Zane was as a toddler - Landon would eat almost anything you put in front of him.  Well, times have changed...or karma bit me again!  He is a lot pickier now to feed and its getting harder.  He gets tired of food too...so if you find something he likes and you over-do it, he won't eat it anymore (which is probably normal for most of us).  He will not try anything new you put on his plate or his tray.  He also gripes about having to feed himself.  He should be very proficient in using a fork and spoon by now, but isn't.  If I load the utensil for him, he'll take it to his mouth, but he won't even attemp (most times) to load it himself.  Definitely need to get to working on that.  His foods of choice right now are: Mac-n-Cheese, Chicken Nuggets, Yogurt, PB&J sandwiches, quasedillas, toast and waffles.  He won't touch fruit or veggies - he does get a vitamin everyday, but I know that's not enough...we are working on the fruits and veggies.  He drinks milk and water or Danimal yogurt drinks - we tend not to give him juice except on very rare occasions.

Potty: He will let you know as soon as he's gone poop...so that's nice :) But we are no where near thinking about potty training yet and to be honest...aside from not wanting to buy diapers anymore, I don't care.  I have a feeling he will be a challenge to potty train unlike his brother, so I'll just put that off awhile!

Smarts: He will point to all of his body parts when asked.  He recognizes Josh's car, my car and Josh's parents car on the road...no matter the color, he knows the car types.  He will say "mommy" (over and over and over if you don't answer him) and he will point to the car and say "Papa Beep-beep" or whoever's car it looks like.  He knows as soon as we are getting close to Zane's school and gets really excited and starts to yell "Z, Z, Z".

Helper: He loves to help!  He loves to help unload the dishwasher and knows which things are down at his level that he can put away and will do so without even being asked.  As soon as I open the dishwasher to empty it, he grabs what he can and puts it away!  When we get home from anywhere, he goes straight to the stairs and takes off his shoes and takes off his coat (do not try to help him on this!!) and then goes over to the coat hook to try and hang it up.  If he finds any sort of scrap paper or garbage on the floor he will pick it right up and go put it in the garbage all on his own.  When he finishes eating/drinking something that is in a disposible container, he will go throw it away right after.  He is great at helping to pick up the toys when asked.  I always give him a high-five after he helps with something and he loves that - he gets a big smile on his face and runs over for the high-five!  His favorite job of all is when we walk into Zane's daycare, he runs right over to the desk and grabs Zane's pump-bag off of it and runs it back over to me.  He takes this job very seriously and gets very upset if the ladies behind the desk try to hand it to me before he gets there or if I try to grab it myself.  Everyone has learned that this is Landon's job!

No matter the challenges this kid poses to us from time to time - we love him so much and cannot imagine life without him.  He makes life so interesting and brings such a spark to our lives.  It helps he is so darn cute too!!!

Cannot believe my baby is 2!


No comments: