Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Spoiled by school...

To say Zane is loved at his school/daycare is an understatement.  There are two women there that are pretty much in charge of managing his diabetes while he's at school and they do a great job with it.  One of them is Miss Bonnie and she is newer to the school (probably 4-6 mos or so) and she just LOVES Zane.  Zane and Miss Bonnie share a birthday, so she has had a countdown going with him for the last couple of weeks.  Everytime  she would ask Zane what he wanted for his birthday I guess he would always just answer "play soccer".   About a week ago Miss Bonnie called me at work and I assumed it was to discuss his current blood sugar and go over next steps...but when I answered the first thing she said was "I'm not calling about Zane's blood sugar!" - she went on to explain that she had made a call to the Sounders about 3 weeks prior and told them all about Zane and how he just loved the Sounders and all he wanted to do for his birthday was "play soccer".  She called to see if there was any way she could arrange for a player to come to school to surprise him for his birthday - I was in shock that someone would think about this for my boy.  Of course as you probably guessed it...that wasn't going to happen...they weren't going to send a player over to surprise him.  BUT the gal she spoke to said that Zane sounded like a really great kid and they wanted to do something special for him and asked Miss Bonnie who his favorite player(s) were - that is why she called me!  After letting her know Mauro Rosales and Steve Zakuani she let the Sounders know and last week they overnighted a care package to Zane's school for him for his birthday! 

Miss Bonnie brought Zane into the office today to give him his special presents (she didn't want to do it in front of his class, because its obvious this isn't something that happens for all of them).  I guess Zane was just looking at her with a confused look on his face (wish I could've seen it, haha).  Also, last Thursday (Zane doesn't go to school on Thursdays) she brought in a soccer ball and had all of the teachers and kids in his class sign it!!!

Of course once I picked Zane up, he couldn't stop talking about his day - the pajama/movie party, the treats he indulged in (with the astronomical blood sugars to prove it!!) and of course his Sounders gear - he couldn't wait to get home and show it to us!

In the bag - the most prized possession was an autographed mini ball from Steve Zakuani!!!  There was also a t-shirt, Drew Carey bobblehead, pencils, key chain, tattoos, stickers, pennant flag and other goodies!  Miss Bonnie also bought him a Sounders hat and threw it in there :)

I am still in shock over the birthday treatment he received today - one lucky kid!





1 comment:

Andrea said...

Lisa, I can't sleep so I was catching up with blogs:) This brought tears to my eyes!!! What a wonderful person Miss Bonnie is and of course Zane deserved every bit of spoiling he could get! Love this:) Happy 5th birthday to your boy (a whole hand old now!)