Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What NOT to say to the parent of a Type 1 Diabetic

I follow a few blogs of parents of Type 1 kiddos and a few blogs written by Type 1 adults and all of them usually give me great information and pick-me-ups when I need them - but there is one that I really get excited for when I see its been updated and its Death of a Pancreas.  Joann is a mom of a 3 year old daughter with Type 1, who was diagnosed at 12 mos and she also has a younger son.  Her posts are always full of REAL information and I really appreciate her candidness and honesty about raising a child with Type 1.  Everything she writes I have thought at least one time - she articulates so well and most of all she is full of humor which I LOVE!  One of my favorite quotes from a recent posts is: "I think that it's important that Elise grows up seeing that although I take diabetes very seriously, we can still laugh at it's expense." I couldn't agree more!

I wanted to share a video with all of you that Joann put together - although I have yet to encounter a lot of ignorance and stupidity from people, I have encountered more than I would like.  She sums it up well here:

1 comment:

Katie and Bob said...

That is witty and sad all at the same time. Everyone can relate to people making stupid comments about situations they know nothing about or have never experienced. I know we can relate in our own way. People are just so dumb, it is amazing to me! We have experienced people insulting us and we are adults, so we know how to handle it. Being insulting or ignorant to one's child must just take that to a whole new level!