Tuesday, July 5, 2011

R.I.P Mr. Pancreas

Is it possible that 198 days post diagnosis Zane's pancreas has finally stopped sputtering random doses of insulin?

Obituary of a Pancreas:

Zane's pancreas, age 3 years 8 months, died sometime during the 4th week in June; the probable cause being Type 1 Diabetes, an autoimmune disorder occurring deep in the Islets of Langerhans. Born October 31, 2007, in Bellevue, WA, Zane's pancreas was healthy and strong; happily secreting hormones until an illness or environmental factor 'woke up' sleeping auto antibodies. These nasty cells were on a one way mission to seek out, wreak havoc and ultimately destroy the insulin producing beta cells of Zane's now defunct pancreas.

Survivors include his longtime companion, the stomach, and his trusty sidekick, the small intestines.

Neither a viewing or funeral services will be held since Zane's pancreas must remain in his little body to provide various digestive juices as part of the exocrine system. The digestive 'team' is ever so thankful for this honorable contribution.

Memorial contributions are welcome and should be mailed to the researcher who is closest to finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes!!

My hope is that the roller-coaster ride of Zane's 'honeymoon' period of pancreatic functions are now over, so we can try to get a better handle of this disease. The few weeks have been insane, we've been increasing his carb to insulin ratio left and right and still having a hard time getting to where we want/need to be. We have just this last weekend added back in his Levimir (long acting insulin) and that just isn't working as fast as I wish it would in getting us on track. I just spoke to Children's again this morning and they are once again adjusting his carb to insulin ratio.

The death of Zane's pancreas is upon us and it is a bitter-sweet time. Of course more than anything I wish that his pancreas would have never decided to begin a long slow death, but I am happy that if its not going to work, that it finally just stops all together instead of spitting out little bits of insulin here and there whenever it felt like it, so we can get a better grasp on this disease and hopefully get his #'s into a good range again. The poopy numbers make him feel poopy and that is very hard to see, so good-bye Mr. Pancreas, its time for you to move on, so we too can move on and learn life without you.

We are now to the point very unfortunately where we are going to have to start giving Zane injections for even his snacks (if they are 15 carbs or more), something I am not looking forward to. Due to this new regimen that is only going to get more regimented, we are going to talk to Zane's doctor at his next appointment (on the 26th) about looking into an insulin pump. The thought of having to give him a shot at the minimum of 6 times a day (opposed to the 2-3 we had been doing for so long now) just kills me. We are so lucky that Zane doesn't put up a fight for his injections and takes them like the little champ he is, but his poor little legs and arms are getting so bruised up and it breaks my heart. The pump would keep him to just getting one "injection" every 3 days when we did a site change of the pump. We'll see what the doc says and how Zane feels about it.

Disclaimer: I am not going to lie...much of this post I adopted from another blog because lets face it...I am just not that creative! I just had to borrow this obituary because I couldn't have said it any better myself!

1 comment:

Katie and Bob said...

Wow. Not sure what to say here. I felt a little educated on Type 1 before but the more I read on your blog, the more educated I feel. Thank you for that. I am sorry about the bruising that is going on for poor Zane. That is just so unfair! You are handling things like a trooper too Lisa. Keep up the good work!