Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ignorance is not Bliss

***Warning this is bound to be a lengthy post and I will be on my soapbox for most of it, but I feel its important information for everyone who knows me or Zane to read***


Last night I got into an argument of sorts with someone on Facebook (I know, real mature!) regarding diabetes...more specifically Type 1 Diabetes. This person read ONE article and watched ONE movie on diseases (diabetes being one of them) and in my opinion considered themselves to be an expert. To say that the things said to me were hurtful is an understatement. I guess in a way I always knew that I'd run into people that would have a negative opinion about Zane's diagnosis or pass judgement, but even so, I was not prepared for it. I was very upset most of last night and all of today, I couldn't even talk to anyone about it without my eyes welling up into tears. I've decided that instead of stewing about it and continuing to be angry about it I would try to use that energy to educate people on Type 1 Diabetes and on Zane's new life, so maybe, just maybe I can help one person not be ignorant or judgemental. I've decided to use this blog as a place to do that.

What is Type 1 Diabetes?
Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks a child's pancreas islet cells that produce insulin. Without insulin, the body cannot use food for fuel. The person will die without insulin, there is no cure, it is not preventable and it is not reversible, it is forever. 40 kids will be diagnosed today.
Taking insulin does not cure diabetes.
Insulin keeps people with type 1 diabetes alive, but does not cure the disease. While progress toward finding a cure has been substantial, there is still no cure for diabetes.

Type 1 is not caused by obesity or eating too much sugar.
While obesity has been identified as one of the “triggers” for type 2 diabetes, it has no relation to the cause of type 1 diabetes. Scientists do not yet know exactly what causes type 1 diabetes. Eating too much sugar is not a factor.

Type 1 is not contagious.

Can you still eat sugar and carbs when you have Type 1?
Yes, but, like for every other person in the world, balance and moderation are key. We all need carbs for energy! T1 diabetics are not doomed to a life in artificial sweetener purgatory; they just need to keep the refined sugars to a minimum and cover them with insulin.

Math is your friend!!
When you have type 1, you are always calculating - carbs, correction factors, insulin to carb ratios. Being a T1 or a parent of one requires making friends with your calculator and your left brain.

Not being alert is not an option.

Getting out of the house takes a little more effort.

You can't just throw on your coat and head out the door anymore. Don't forget your insulin, syringes, snacks, test strips/meter, juice/fruit snacks.

With strict adherence to a specific diet and exercise plan, and multiple insulin injections each day based on careful monitoring of blood sugar levels, a person with type 1diabetes can gain some control over his or her blood sugar levels. While the above strategy is the most effective way to achieve and maintain tight control of blood sugar levels, optimal blood sugar control can be very difficult for some patients. Many factors, including stress, hormone changes, periods of growth, and illness can easily cause blood sugar to swing out of control. Teenagers in particular might be susceptible to this problem, as their bodies go through many changes during adolescence. Also, some people with type 1 diabetes find that even though they strive for tight control and follow their meal plan and insulin schedule, they still experience rapid fluctuations in their blood glucose. Those fluctuations do not mean the person with diabetes has done anything wrong.

Diabetes kills more people than breast cancer and AIDS combined in the United States. So, if you know someone who fights this battle, encourage them. They are in a fight for their health and life.

The above information was borrowed from a blog I follow of another mom of a Type 1 child.

The following information is from me and my heart!

There is nothing we could have done to prevent Zane from coming down with this disease. I've played the guilt game enough, but I know in my heart it was nothing of our doing or not doing. Zane did not have his first taste of sugar until his birthday cake at his 1st birthday and even after that he had very little in his diet, he never had soda, rarely had juice and got plenty of exercise, his getting this disease has NOTHING to do with his lifestyle or ours as his parents.

Zane can still eat the same foods as your children, he just has to have insulin to cover what he intakes. He can still have a piece of cake at your child's birthday party, we just need to cover it. Zane can and does still play sports, we just have to make sure his blood sugar doesn't go too low. Zane is still an onry 3 year old and still gets just as many time outs as he did before!! He is a normal child and I will do everything I can in life to make sure he has a normal life.

Am I angry that he was diagnosed with this? YES. Are there days that I am angry with God for him giving my child diabetes? YES. Are there days that I'm scared out of my mind for his future? YES. Are there days that when he sleeps in a little longer than usual that I go into his room panicked and check his blood sugar while he's sleeping to make sure he didn't fall into a diabetic coma overnight? YES. Do I have visions of breaking into his dorm room when he's in college to check his blood sugars? YES. Do I worry about him? EVERY DAY. Do I think we can manage this disease and make sure that he lives a long healthy life? YES. Do I thank God for giving Josh and I the strength to "deal" with this? YES. Would I give up my life tomorrow if it meant he could be free of this disease the rest of his life? IN A HEARTBEAT. Do I think my little boy is the bravest child on this earth? YES. Am I going to lay down and feel sorry for myself or for Zane (or any other T1 child out there)? NEVER Will I ever give up the fight to find a cure in his lifetime? NEVER. Do I truly believe that they will come up with an artificial pancreas in his lifetime? FOR SURE.

This child is 100% my hero. He NEVER puts up a fight when we have to check his blood sugar, he NEVER puts up a fight when he has to get a shot. He is 3 years old and wise beyond his years when it comes to medical terminology. He knows just when I need a hug and an "I love you" and he will always know how much he means to me because a day will never go by that I don't let him know.

Please do me a favor and never, ever pass judgement on anyone, especially a parent of a child with any sort of illness or disease. No parent in their right mind would purposely give their child something that they can never take away. Ask questions if you are unsure, don't believe everything you read on the internet or see on tv. Educate yourself and most of all, be a good listener.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox for now, I hope everyone understands a little more about Type 1 and more about Zane's new life.

Love,
Zane's mommy!

8 comments:

Krissy said...

I love this blog. Good for you for posting every word of it. I read your facebook convo as it was happening last night and was appalled for you.

Maybe those who don't understand T1, should DONATE to the beat the bridge so that education and a cure can happen for this disease.

I'm sorry that you've had to go through this experience, but as always, you're holding your head up high and should be proud.

HUGS!

Brooke Buckingham said...

I think it was smart of you to write this out! Good for you for being proactive and tackling your feelings. You are an incredible mother and you and Josh have done an AMAZING job of handling this and taking care of Zane! I truly am impressed every time I read your blog at how brave you have been and continue to be.

Everybody has an opinion and unfortunately some are a little "uneducated". But you know better and so do all of your friends and family. We are behind you 100%

Cindy Taron said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Very educational and eye opening. I'm sorry that you have to deal with the insensitive people that want to judge you. You are doing a great job, and Zane is lucky to have you two as his parents!

Amy said...

I'll be the first to admit that I did not have all of the facts about Diabetes, especially Type 1. So I thank you for giving me insight into your life and Zane's routine. You are doing the best job that you can which is being a mom and taking care of your children and their needs. Keep it up and feel free to hop on that soapbox when you see fit!

neimeh said...

You and zane amaze me Lisa, and you continue to inspire me with how strong and honest you are! Wiping away my tears. Neimeh

Andrea said...

Love this Lisa! I was also pretty shocked at the comments on your FB post. I too, hope and pray that someday there will be a cure for T1!!!

Kimberly said...

Good for you!!! Great post!!! Ignorance is not bliss and people are too quick to judge. It is very humbling to have a chid with a chronic illness...one of the only perks of this damn disease!!

Katie and Bob said...

Okay, my comment ended up being too long and personal to add on here, so I am going to mail it to you...