First this morning we had Zane's regular 3 mo follow up at Children's with his Endocrinologist. I was really looking forward to this appointment because it was going to be the first time Zane's A1C (click on the link there to find out what exactly that is) was going to be checked with 3 solid months of just us managing his blood sugars and I was anxious to see how Josh and I were doing at this. A good A1C for a diabetic should be under 7, Zane's doctor told us that for a child his age and with the length of time he's been diagnosed, a good # would be between 7 & 8. Zane's A1C at diagnosis was a 10, today it was a...ready for this...drum roll please...6.9!!!!!! I could have cried I was so excited! Josh and I gave each other high 5's immediately! The doctor told us that that was outstanding and that whatever we are doing, we are doing it right!!! Honestly, I am so proud of us! We were told by the doctor that we need to keep an eye on his morning blood sugars though since he's been running a little high at night. As of right now, he's fine because he is waking up with a great blood sugar #, but if he starts to wake up a little high its just showing that his pancreas is losing more and more of its insulin producing cells (which is inevitably going to happen very soon) and we'll need to make a change to his insulin regimen, but for now she said its just fine and just keep an eye on it!!
I forgot to take out our camera while at Children's, but here's a picture of Zane at lunch. Look closely and you can see on the paper he's drawing on, his name written in blue crayon...kiddo wrote that all by himself, with no help from us! I was amazed because I didn't even know he could do it, haha. He's been writing a 'Z' for a long time, but that's all I thought he could do on his own...guess he's proved me wrong!! I'm amazed! He also wrote Landon's name, but needed our help on how to spell it!

Next stop after Children's was off to Swedish to see our good friends Lisa & Daniel and their new BEAUTIFUL baby girl Natalie! I've seen a lot of babies in my day and I am not even kidding when I say this is the most gorgeous baby girl I've ever seen (good thing I don't have any girls or I could be insulting them right now)! She seriously looks like a porcelain doll. Congrats to the new parents, I know you will be great ones!!

Natalie weighed 1 oz bigger than Landon at birth and 3 mos later, here is what the Nilsson's have to look forward to:

Our final medical stop of the day was to Josh's General Surgery consult appointment regarding his gall bladder. We talked to the surgeon for quite awhile only to learn that he will not be the one performing the surgery, haha. Apparently, this doc is getting a 5 week vacation starting next week...must be nice! Anyway, his partner will be doing Josh's surgery on April 26th! We asked to be put on a wait-list if a cancellation comes up sooner, but worse case its on the 26th. Doc told Josh due to his line of work he should stay out of work for 2 weeks, but if he feels fine after a week he's more than welcome to try going back early. Knowing Josh, he'll milk it and be out for the 2 weeks (honestly, who wouldn't though)!! The doc did say he should be fine to run Beat the Bridge on May 15th and if he doesn't feel up to running it, he for sure can walk it! I know Josh wouldn't miss that for the world though!
No picture of Josh getting checked out at the doctor, but here's someone just a little bit cuter:
2 comments:
Congratulations! I know what it feels like to have numbers where they should be (or lower!!) - I can totally picture the high 5. :)
Holy smokes! 6.9 is awesome!
Post a Comment