Monday, October 19, 2009

Hives!

I picked Zane up from daycare Friday night and noticed he was scratching his stomach, I didn't think much of it at first, but then he just continued to scratch like crazy. I looked at his stomach and noticed a little rash and thought it was kind of weird, but just figured I'd put some hydrocortisone cream on it that night and it would be fine. Throughout the weekend it just got worse and started to look like little welts and the itching was uncontrollable for him :( Benedryl has become our best friend around here. I started thinking he might have hives, but I since I have never had hives or ever even seen them before, I wasn't sure. But after describing them to a few people (including the nurses at work today) its been diagnosed that he does indeed have hives. I talked with his doctor today and she said 95% of people who get hives never know what caused them (just as we don't for Zane) and they can take days to weeks to go away completely. She said they could be a delayed allergic reaction to his Amoxicillin (his last dose was Thursday night) although she doubts that is the case, she also said a lot of people get hives at the end of an illness for some reason, so maybe its that, who knows! We can give him Benedryl 3 times a day max or we can try switching to Clariton once a day to see if it works better. The craziest thing (well, crazy to me anyway since I have known nothing about hives) is that they disappear and then reappear in different spots a few hours later (obviously once the Benedryl has worn off). He really doesn't seem bothered by them other than the itching, he doesn't complain about them at all...but I still feel so sorry for him. I sure hope they clear up fast.

1 comment:

Ryan and Kristi said...

I am so sorry Zane has the hives. I used to get them all the time when I was a kid. They never knew why I got them. They told my mom that she had to get rid of our cats and all my toys and my mom told them no I will just give her benedrayl when she gets them.
Kristi