Friday, February 20, 2015

Landon's Room Make Over

You may remember back in August Zane and I made over his bedroom into a soccer themed room (per his requests).  In that same post - I said to stay tuned for Landon's room make over.  Here we are 6 mos later and his room is finally done!  Poor second child! Thankfully he could care less and didn't even realize his brother got a new room and he didn't!

Zane & Landon have been at their grandparents since Wednesday due to mid-winter break; so I thought this would be the perfect time to make over his room.  This way, it could be uninterupted and a surprise for when he gets back tonight.  I've talked about it for a couple weeks, but I don't think he gets what I mean - so it'll be fun to see his reaction tonight.  JoAnn if you're reading this - do not show Landon this blog post before I pick him up today :)

I had so much fun doing this!  I really wanted and needed to do this on a budget.  Other than a few pieces of wood - I didn't buy anything.  I made it all or re-purposed things we already had (frames etc).

Here is/was his room BEFORE:





Now without further a-do (no idea how to spell that or even if it's a word) - the AFTER:



I made the C car T truck photos on Photoshop and had them printed at Costco.  I also made the road L on Photoshop and had printed at Costco.  I framed all 3 photos in frames I already had around the house.  Then I glued cars onto the glass of the "L road" frame.  Hot glue would not keep the cars on, so I had to use a super glue type glue...this frame will have to be trashed after he's done with it, but that's ok - it has had many good years in our home and hopefully many more in his room! 


Thankfully my husband is a license plate hoarder!  He has TONS of them - and thankfully he shared them with me.  I knew I wanted to use some in Landon's room, but wasn't sure how without making a ton of holes in the wall.  So thanks to a little search on Google (Pinterest was no help actually this time) - I found the plans on how to make a little wooden frame (not pictured, forgot to take one) and then I screwed the plates ontot he frame and just hung the frame.  I went to Home Depot to get the wood and totally misread the labels - I was so mad.  I thought they were $.99 per board (it was like a molding type board) and so I cut them to the sizes I needed at the store with their handy saw - got up to pay for them and apparently, they were $.99/per linier foot - oops.  So my $2 project ended up being $25, dammit.  Oh well, live and learn.  I was having some trouble with this project and almost just gave up on it - then I remembered how much I paid for the wood and knew Josh would kill me when he found out - so I knew I couldn't admit defeat and had to persevere - so I did and I'm so glad I did.  In the end, I think it was worth the accidental $25 - you agree, right Josh?  Love you!!!



Josh got the poster in the frame at some car event he went too - I just cut it down a little and framed it with a frame we already had in the house - looks so much better than just a poster taped to the wall.  I'm not a fan of anything taped to the wall - so this made me happy!  Everything else on the dresser were things we already had around the house or garage!



I found something similar to this stop light on Pinterest, so decided to have my own take on it.  This was super easy and free!  I already had the canvas', so painted them black.  I already had the vinyl, so cut each color into a circle and stuck it onto the canvas and voila!


I'm so happy with this room - I may just have to sleep in it myself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Landon will LOVE his new and improved room I'm so impressed!

Brooke Buckingham said...

Super cute! And I know what you mean about sleeping in there. I find myself wondering into Will's room and wanting to hang out. It's one of my favorite rooms in the house!

Maierhof said...

You are getting so crafty Lisa! Good work!