Its been one hell of a diabetes afternoon for Zane. The day was going totally fine until he was outside playing at school and his pump started to alarm and stop delivering insulin for no good reason. School called me right way, thankfully I was just starting to head there from work (at least a 40 min drive). I got there as fast as I can...but still that was 40-50 mins with no insulin. I told school to have him play outside and run as much as possible to keep the blood sugars down. It worked...when I got there, he was only at 167. I started to fill the first new pod with insulin (100 units of insulin) and as I was filling it...it started to alarm...are you flippin' kidding me?? I pull out the 2nd spare pod that I had with me and the same exact same thing happened...started to freakin' alarm while filling it (another 100 units of insulin wasted). I was out of pods. We jumped into the car and I drove home as fast as I could (another 15 mins without insulin). His blood sugar was now almost at 300; ugh. Filled the 3rd pod and this one finally worked, but we've spent the last 3 hours trying to get his blood sugar back down into a normal range. He feels like crap, but has been a trooper as usual. A trooper that no child should have to be.
The normal trick to get the alarming pods to stop alarming is to stick them in the freezer...usually works. Not tonight. After almost 3 hours in the freezer they were still going strong and annoying the crap out of both of us. Every time I'd open the refrigerator or the freezer, we'd hear them and Zane would freak out thinking it was his current pod alarming. Enough was enough. I let Zane handle it from there...
Just a reminder (I'll stop reminding after you've donated) :) http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/zanealexander
No donation is too small (or too big for that matter)!
No comments:
Post a Comment