Monday, July 27, 2015

Sisters & Memorial

Both of my sisters flew up from California the Tuesday after dad died.  They came up to help me start to sort through all of his stuff and grab what they wanted, accompany me to see an estate attorney since none of his affairs were in order and head to the funeral home and plan a small memorial.  We had a lot to do in just a couple days...but we got a good head-start!

Tuesday night we all went out to dinner -


On Wednesday, we headed up to my dad's house so my sisters could go through his stuff and grab whatever they wanted before I started to liquidate it later.  He has some pretty cool things and a whole lotta junk too!  One thing that my dad had a lot of and most were pretty freakin' awesome...were hats! We all claimed our hats!  Here are just a few of our claimed treasures.






We also headed to the funeral home on Wednesday to get my dad's cremation all set up.  I had spoke with the lady the day before, so had a good idea of what all was going to happen once we got there...but it was still weird and very hard.  Ironically my dad had been brought to the funeral home that morning for his autopsy to be done, she asked if we wanted to see him...we all said no.  I want to remember my dad the way I saw him last...not cold with no life left in him.  It was very eery to know he was "in the building" when we were there, I wasn't expecting that.

I picked my dad up last week...another weird feeling.  My sisters will be up again in September around our dad's birthday - we plan to spread his ashes at that time.


On Thursday we met with an estate attorney.  Since my dad did not have a power of attorney set up, the court has to appoint one.  I am next of kin and am the only local child, so it makes since that it would be me.  Thankfully my sisters trust me and we have no issues with each other or dad's things...so they were able to easily sign their right away to me and this coming week the attorney will send the documents to court so I can be appointed.  Once I'm appointed, I can start to take care of his things (selling his cars, motorcycle, house etc), pay his bills and figure out his retirement, life insurance etc.  This is one hell of a job all.  If you're parents do not have a power of attorney and/or a will in place...MAKE.THEM.DO.IT.NOW!  Yes, it's a hard thing to talk about - but your life will be so much easier if you get it all out of the way now!  I am not going to lie - this has been a nightmare. It is getting better, but still could've been avoided if he had that all in place before hand.

Thursday, we also quickly threw together a small memorial for dad.  We just held it potluck style at a park in Renton and hoped that a few of his friends would come - many did, we were happy!  My dad had a TON of friends all over the state, many of them are doing their own tributes to him at different events that my dad did with them...we wanted as his family to at least have something small so we could meet some of his friends as well.  All but one of my cousins were able to come as well, so it really was a great turn out!  Very low key, but exactly what we wanted.

 

 
 

 






1 comment:

Brooke Buckingham said...

Yes, yes, yes. I can relate to so much of this. It has really taught me a lot about getting my affairs in order so Will doesn't have to deal with any of it!