Team Zane was at it again this year and we will be every year in some capacity or another until a cure is found or until Zane tells us he's done! It's the least we can do as his family and friends.
Nothing ceases to amaze me with these kids - they are out there running their hears out, checking blood sugars, chugging juice and all with smiles on their faces. I don't know how they do it, I really don't. I've poked my finger by accident with his poker and wanted to yell out a non-kid friendly word or two...so to see these kids of all ages (including babies) doing it with out even a flinch brings a tear to my eye. Sure there are many nights that Josh and I have very interrupted sleep because of diabetes; sure there are days that Zane says he hates it and doesn't want it anymore; sure there are days that I cry over it after I go to bed so no one will see me; sure there are days that I have to break the news to him that he can't have that coveted ice cream he wants so badly because his blood sugar is over 500; sure I want to cry with him when I break that news and sure there are days that I say f*ck it and let him have the ice cream even with a blood sugar of over 500. There are many crappy things about diabetes, but there are many great things we have gained through it as well. We have really learned who our real friends are. The friends who relentlessly get up early every year to fight traffic and crowds to come out and show their support for Zane. The friends who even when they can't be there always go out of their way to make a donation to JDRF to find a cure for him. The friends who ask us about Zane and the ones who just know by the look on our face that it hasn't been a good day or night and try to be there for us even though they don't know how to fix it. These are the friends that we will carry with us for a lifetime. These are the friends that Zane will carry with him for a lifetime. And to all of you and you know who you are THANK YOU. It's life, it's our life and it's one that we have adapted too and one that we don't know any different from anymore.
It was a great day out there today!!
Most of Team Zane...a few are missing.
Zane, Logan, Landon & Blake
Zane and his oldest friend Bashir! Bashir has been out for EVERY.SINGLE.ONE!
Landon, Omar, Bashir & Zane
My perfect little family!
Omar, Neimeh, Bashir, Zane & Yours Truly. This one raises more money every year for Team Zane than I'm even able to do - she's amazing and has been a huge supporter!
Some of the boys warming up before their big run, haha!!
No comments:
Post a Comment