Saturday, April 13, 2013

Strawberry Milk Makes Everything Better

Today was the day we had to put Zane's new CGM sensor on - this is something he HATES with a passion.  Its always a battle and always a war between him and us.  Normally Josh does this task (I normally do the pump changes), but I've been trying to learn how to do them so I can if I ever need to when Josh isn't around.  The last one I did, it took two sensors before I got it right and many tears from Zane.  That was two weeks ago.  Today, it was time to change it again - Josh is home, but I wanted to try again.  Zane of course threw a fit.  I finally demanded talked him into putting the new sensor on his back to give his poor little arms a break.  As soon as I inserted the sensor he started SCREAMING bloody murder...more screaming, than the normal "I don't want to put it on" scream.  He kept screaming "that's a bad spot, that's a bad spot, owwwww".  I looked at the sensor and it was just oozing blood :(  Not normal.  BROKE MY HEART.  So, I had to remove that sensor with tears in my own eyes and now try to coax him into letting us do it again (but going back to his arm).  He was not having it...and honestly, I didn't blame him.  Thankfully Josh came to my Zane's rescue and he was able to get it onto his little arm with no blood this time!

I normally take the "yes, I know it sucks, but too bad, you have to do it" approach to Zane's diabetes - I don't let him feel sorry for himself, I try not to feel sorry for him and I just try to teach him to "suck it up" and get the job done.  That was not the case today - I have never been so upset with myself for hurting him.  It wasn't on purpose of course and I apologized profusely, but it just broke my heart.  I begged him to forgive me and of course he did, but I hate hurting my baby.

Anyway...we gave him a big glass of Strawberry Milk afterwards and all is well - he isn't complaining about it all anymore, has basically forgotten about it and we will continue to have a great day - but not the way I wanted to start out this great day.

I love you baby.



1 comment:

Maierhof said...

Oh that makes me so sad:( Poor little guy! Really great that you and Josh can work together and help him though! What a good team!