When it comes to pump site changes we also give him a choice as to where he wants it. He is very favorable to his arms - he actually only wants it on his arms. His arms work great, we rarely have issues with them coming off to early on his arms, his number stay in pretty good range on his arms...but his arms are starting to gather a lot of scare tissue. The scare tissue gets in the way of his insulin absorbtion and his numbers become not as nice anymore. He will allow us to put it on his back ("love handle" area), but we have been having a lot of issues lately with it coming off too early. He rough houses and it sometimes gets torn off or sometimes he bumps it too hard while pulling his pants up and down and will trigger it to "alarm" and we have to change it early. I personally do not like it on his back because of these issues. BUT those are the only two places he has let us put it (arms and back). I do rotate them around as much as possible (between arms/back), but still its not enough time away from the arms for that scare tissue to start to disappear. Last week when he tore it off his back (not on a pump change day) - I begged nicely pleaded with him to let us try it on his leg or tummy. He said absolutely not to his tummy, but was rather receptive to his leg. Not sure what changed because he has never been receptive to that before...but whatever it is, I'll take it. We were so proud of him! We took him out for a prize that night and he chose the Grave Digger Monster Truck :)
This leg pump site lasted the full 3 days - yay!!!
When it came time to change his pump Monday night - he agreed to his other leg, so that was great!! Then Tuesday morning he was rough housing and bumped it too hard and it "alarmed" and a pump change had to happen already, ugh!! What a waste of money for the pump and the lost insulin - I HATE having to do them early! Oh well, life happens. He was home with Josh's parents at our house when this happened...but thankfully Josh was home sleeping (becuase he was sick), so they were able to wake him up to do the pump change opposed to me driving home or them coming out to my work.
Josh has a gentle way of talking Zane into things that I just am not able to do - he is way more patient than I am and much more gentle in his persuasion (I should take notes)! Anyway, I received a text from Josh's mom shortly after the pump and it was a picture of this...
Yep, Zane allowed a pod to be put on his tummy!!!! I am so proud of him (as he was of himself too as you can see)!!! And of Josh for his great persuasion skills!! And yes, you guessed it...he got another prize for being so brave with a new spot...a Lego!
This kid amazes me more and more everyday - I just love him to death!!


No comments:
Post a Comment