This post is a very sad one for me to write, but one I want to do for documentation purposes more than anything. And also to serve as a reminder that even when our kids act all happy-go-lucky that sometimes there is more going on in their little heads than they lead on.
Yesterday as the boys and I were driving around...
Out of the blue Zane had this little conversation with me:
Z: "where did Becca go again, mom?"
M: "what honey, who's Becca?"
Z: "Miss Becca from school" (Becca used to work at Zane's school and was one of the gals who helped manage his Diabetes while there)
M: "She still works for Rainbow, but she moved to a different location because she got a better job there (hard to explain promotion to a 5 year old)"
Z: "Maybe she was just tired of checking my blood sugars or something"
M: "Zane DON'T YOU EVER THINK THAT, no one will EVER been tired of helping you check your sugars or making sure that you stay healthy"
Z: "OK"
I have tears in my eyes just typing this out - it really hurt me to hear him say that. I KNOW that no one at his school or in his life has ever given him the impression or said to him that they are "tired" of helping him with his sugar checks, but the fact he even thought that just breaks my heart. Why would he think that? Where would such an innocent mind ever get a thought like that? Will someone someday ever tell him that they are tired of him having Diabetes? If anyone is tired of it...HE IS...he is the one who has to deal with this day in and day out and for the rest of his life most likely. So help me if I ever find out someone has said anything negative to him about his Diabetes or about helping him with managing it - that person may or may not ever see the light of day again - I am probably not kidding.
Who could ever be tired of helping this little piece of perfection??

2 comments:
I'm sorry. That would break my heart too.
That is sad:( I think some of that insecurity never goes away, even into adulthood. I know Bobby is always sorry for being sick with asthma and allergies and worries that he "dissappoints" me and it is so sad and pathetic! What helps is that we reassure them and sounds like you are doing that:)
Post a Comment