Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting Poked

As everyone knows by now Zane has Type 1 Diabetes and with that he must have his blood sugar checked multiple times a day. Josh and I always are the ones to poke him and test his blood sugar, but last week Zane decided he wanted to poke himself. We are all about letting him have as much control as possible with this disease since its his disease to have to deal with, so we've started letting him poke himself (with some help from us for dexterity reasons) anytime he asks. I know I've said it before and I will say it again (and probably again and again), but I am SO proud of this little man. He has taken this diagnosis and NEVER asked why he has to do all of this and NEVER once complained about it, he is my little hero!

One other thing he's started doing which I'm not sure if I should laugh at or cry at is he's started asking how many carbs are in something he wants to eat. His shots are based off how many carbs he has at a meal (or snack) so he always hears Josh or I making comments on how many carbs are in something...guess he's picked up on the "lingo" even though he has no idea what a carb is! Such a cutie pie!

No comments: