They all had a great time! Once they were home, Zane was full of energy, telling me all about the hike! He finally settled down enough to head off to bed...just for a few hours and then he barfed all over, ugh!
![]() |
| Zane slept the entire next day away (in my bed on my side; thanks kid)! |
The next morning, Josh was sick, so he assumed it was something they ate after the hike. Then Friday night and Saturday morning Landon was barfing. Now we knew it was a bug lurking!
![]() |
| Some of us use barf bowls for hats (this is before it was used). |
I "knock-on-wood" never barfed, but had been feeling nauseous everyday since Thursday - today (Tuesday) is the first day I have not felt nauseous. It's a good thing I know that I can't get pregnant again or I'd have been convinced that may have been my issue this last week - it's been terrible! I have eaten hardly anything (thanks to that, I'm fitting into clothes I haven't for a very long time, haha - if only that part would last)! We thought we were through the thick of it. Then last night happened.
Zane's appetite hadn't fully came back since last Wednesday, but that was nothing to be alarmed about - I mean, it's been almost a week since I've been able to eat - we weren't concerned at all. He went to bed last night and about 30 mins later this kid barfed more than any child I've ever seen in my life - it was seriously like the poltergeist was in his room or something - so, so, scary! Thank the Lord he made it all to the trash can! I obviously let my boss know immediately that I wouldn't be in today. Called Children's and got some direction from them...gave Zane some anti-nausea meds and was up every 2 hours (all night long) checking his blood sugar and getting him to sip Sprite to keep the blood sugar up. Thankfully, he was never sick again. He woke up this morning and it's like nothing ever happened. He is 100% back to himself - most of his appetite is back and he's just happy as a clam! I really hope this bug is finally over...it's been pure hell.
Stomach bugs and Type 1 do not mix well at all - it's seriously one of the worst illnesses a person with Type 1 can encounter. I avoid anyone who has had a stomach bug in the last 2 weeks like the plague and won't take Zane near anyone's house that has had it in the last 2-3 weeks if at all possible. I just don't want him to get it. Thankfully, he's only had it 1 or 2 other times in the last 3.5 years he's been diagnosed and I hope it's a long time before it happens again. When they cannot keep any fluids down, the body builds up ketones which are essentially poison in the blood stream and the only way to rid of them is by a. fluids and b. insulin. Problem is - if they cannot keep fluids down, plan (a) is out. If their blood sugars are silly low (which his were), then you cannot give insulin which means now plan (b) is out. You aren't left with much now except a trip to the hospital to keep your kid alive. I'm happy to report, we did not end up there last night (although, I was certain we would). We were able to keep Sprite down him all night and were able to flush the ketones out!! His blood sugars have not returned to normal yet (which is normal after a tummy bug) and his body is not absorbing the carbs he's eating, so they are not effecting his blood sugar, so he is not receiving any insulin for the food he's eating yet (again, normal after a tummy bug). It's almost like he doesn't have Type 1 right now - he's eating freely and getting no insulin for it - I wish it could be like this forever, but soon - his body will readjust and he'll be back on insulin for everything he eats!
Here is what his CGM has looked like almost every night - this is showing his blood sugar trend and remember that for him to be safe overnight, he needs to be above 130 at least (this was taken right before bed the other night):
I have done more cleaning and laundry in the last week than I think I do in a month!
We are so thankful we made it through this one and really hope that that's it for our family for awhile - especially for Zane! Thanks to all our friends and family who checked up on us over the last week - I think we'll all survive after all!





1 comment:
Makes you wish you could be vaccinated against the stomach flu, somehow! How awful! Glad Zane seems to be back to normal, and good job momma, holding everything together!
Post a Comment