Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cavities No More

Last Wednesday was the day that Zane's two cavities were filled - I was much more anxious about this day than he was.  That was probably because I have had my fair share of fillings in my lifetime, many of them were as a kid, so I knew what was to come.  He on the other hand had no clue what was coming, so was just thinking of it as another dentist appointment.

The night before the appointment he asked me if he was going to have to get a shot.  I told him that I didn't know, I wasn't sure how/what they did for kids these days, but did tell him that IF they were going to give him a shot that he definitely wanted it - he wouldn't want to feel them filling his cavity without it.  He seemed ok with that answer.  I was 99% sure they would be giving him a shot of Novocaine.

Well, I was 99% wrong!  I couldn't believe it when they started to drill into his first tooth without numbing him and I was more shocked when Zane wasn't batting an eye at it.  My teeth were hurting just watching and listening to the drill.  After they finished with the first one, the dentist went to go do a quick exam on another patient before coming back to fill the 2nd one - he wanted to give Zane a little break from having his mouth wide open!  I whispered to the hygentist (un-knowingly right as the dentist was walking back in) "don't they numb people anymore??" and she said "nope" and he piped in with the fact that the shot is much more traumatic on the kids than just doing it without.  He said that baby teeth have so few nerves in them that there is usually very little pain unless it's an abnormally deep cavity.  They proceeded to fill #2 which was a little bigger than the first one and same result - Zane didn't bat an eye.  The doctor and hygentist kept commenting on how good he did and they told him that he could pick two toys out of the treasure box today - he was on cloud nine with that outcome!

So since he wasn't numb - we left the dentist and headed straight to Taco Time for lunch without the worry of him chewing his cheek up!

I'm so proud of him - this kid HATED going to the dentist and would hardly open his mouth the first 2 years he went and now he is getting fillings with zero anesthetic and not having a care in the world! Obviously - we hope there won't be anymore cavities in the future, but at least we know he can handle them if there are!



No comments: