Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 2 = ROUGH DAY

Well, day 2 of new daycare did NOT go as well as day 1 did and honestly I should've expected it...but didn't. Zane was not thrilled when I dropped him off this morning at all, he was throwing quite the fit for me, but knowing that he is usually fine in about 3-5 mins, I left him there unhappy and went off to work. I had a feeling on the way to work that things wouldn't go as well today, but figured I was over reacting and I tried to ignore the guilt I was feeling.

I was feeling so uneasy about the drop-off that I even purposely did not silence my cell phone at work like I normally do...just had that feeling. Sure enough, around 11 a.m. my cell phone rings. As soon as I saw the # pop up, I just knew something wasn't right. She explained that Zane was having a very rough day and that he had been crying off and on (mostly on) for the last TWO HOURS for me and she just couldn't get him to calm down. My heart broke...my poor baby has been crying for that long and I didn't know it and I wasn't there to make him feel better. I raced down to daycare and as soon as he saw me, he just lost it (I just about did too, but managed to keep it together). He was begging me to "go home", I explained to him that we couldn't go home, that mommy had to go to work. After realizing that a quick hug was not going to fix the situation we (daycare and I) agreed to pull him out for the rest of the day and I'd just take him to work with me. We also agreed that next week, I would stay with him for an hour or so every morning until he was comfortable and then I'd try to head to work...alone. I should've known this would happen...

Experts say that routine is the best thing for your baby and that kids thrive off of it and they are right to an extent...the problem is, is that routines can actually back-fire on you...one little hiccup and you're in meltdown city. We have been very routine with Zane since day one and it really has worked to our advantage for the most part...but making a big change like this is not going to be easy, he just doesn't understand and that my friends is so hard as a parent to deal with.

Anyway...off to my work we went. I share an office with my boss who thankfully is SO understanding (maybe because she has a 2 year old and 4 mos old herself) and was more than happy to let me bring him with today. Also, thankfully, she was only working 1/2 day, so she didn't have to listen to him jibber jabber for long!! Zane did so well today, he colored, played with a few toys we keep in the office and even took a 2 hour nap (that I had to wake him up from, because I didn't think I'd get approved for OT just so I could let him sleep!!). Although, he did so well, this cannot be a habit, so hopefully next week doing a slower transition will help him (and me).









Oh and if anyone's wondering YES, I'm completely freaking out about how this new baby will disrupt Zane's life more than ever now. If changing something as *simple* as his daycare is going this way...how is a new family member that is going to absorb a HUGE amount of my time going to affect him. Oy, oy, oy!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hugs to you Lisa. That must have been so rough:( Keep in mind that children are resilient and Zane will be fine, both with his new daycare and a new baby. He will take time to adjust, of course,(to both situations) but then he will never remember a time when he didn't have a brother to snuggle and play with:)