Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Rash Craziness

Zane had two bumps on one of his legs that kind of looked like bug bites. These bumps started to really bother him and started to get really gross...so I took him to the dr. 


They had no clue, but cultured them (negative) but did say they looked infected so prescribed an antibiotic. Since he's allergic to penicillin, he had to be given a different one he'd never had before. We started the antibiotic that night. About 3 or so days later he had developed a very itchy rash all over his body (literally neck to feet) and was miserable. 


Back to the doctor (not our regular dr or the dr who saw him for other bumps) we went last Thurs. 

 
This doctor was perplexed as well, but thought it might be scabies, ugh. So we have to cover Zane in a special cream that night from head to toe and it was so painful for him, he just cried in pain :(. Next morning he wakes up with rash now spread to his face. It's very uncommon for scabies to spread to face. I talked to the dr on Friday and explain spreading and he agrees, probably not scabies. I suggest maybe it's the antibiotic, he agrees and has us stop. The rash is getting better slooooowly, but less itchy by far, so other than being covered in dots, he is a lot less miserable. 

Another antibiotic added to the list of allergies, ugh. Hoping this all disappears soon, poor kid needs a break!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

He does need a break! Poor little guy:( I had a mysterious rash a few years ago that a dermatologist finally guessed was scabies. We all had to use the cream and wash everything! It was awful and it wasn't the answer. Never did find out exactly but I swore it was caused from an electric blanket that I had bought that winter. Weird I know!